It’s summertime and with that means travel and family trips. It seems that summer gets shorter every year and that means a very small windows for travel. I’m not letting that slow me down but rather am already beginning to plan for next year.
Our youngest will be graduating from college and it seems like the perfect time for a family trip that involves voluntourism or volunteering and travel. Since I have begun my research I thought I would share it with you. My first stop was a web-site chock full of information called Voluntourism.Org where you can learn about hundreds of opportunities and how to plan your trip.
Pre-planning check list:
A few things to keep in mind in the planning stages of your trip.
1. Do your homework
2. Ask yourself and your family what do you really want to achieve from this experience? Help others? Bond with your family? Get into a great college?
3. Choose a reputable organization to partner with
4. Involve your family in all the pre-planning process.
5. Document the experience with video, photos and journals.
There are thousands of online sources promising you and your family amazing experiences but finding reputable ones can be overwhelming. Here are a few volunteer programs that had some great endorsements:
Volunteer Programs to consider:
3. Rebuilding Together U.S. based program that builds homes across the country
5. Peace Jam
There are also organizations that would love to have you visit learn about their mission, and volunteer to help further a given cause. The downside is that you will have to do the investigation yourself by reaching out to organizations individually. This can be a daunting task and challenging from a booking perspective. It can also be rewarding if you have a charity, organization, or cause you want to devote your time and efforts too.
Ecotourism is incredibly popular so if you are looking for a trip that involves working to save the planet or a species here are a few suggestions:
Ideas for Ecotourism travel:
So whether you go now or next year, travel near or far….know that your time is your greatest gift. Think about sharing that precious resource with your family in helping another. Those are the moments that make an impact on all involved.
YOUR REFERRAL IS THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT, IF YOU ARE SO MOVED OR INSPIRED, WE WOULD LOVE YOU TO SHARE AND INSPIRE ANOTHER.
- On IG @Charitymatters
- Post a screenshot & key takeaway on your IG story and tag me @heidijohnsonoffical and @Charitymatters so we can repost you.
- Leave a positive review on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to new episodes each week!
Copyright © 2022 Charity Matters. This article may not be reproduced without explicit written permission; if you are not reading this in your newsreader, the site you are viewing is illegally infringing our copyright. We would be grateful if you contact us.